About Me

My photo
Sublimity, OR, United States
****WELCOME FRIENDS****
I am artist of texture and color. I enjoy working with textiles, mixed media and the graphic arts. I am an avid cottage gardener with a love for pass along plants and big fluffy pink peonies and pink roses. Many of my tangible creations reflect my love of the garden and all its wonderful colors. I have been selling my creations online since 2002 beginning as a hobby. After 10 years I quit the day job to pursue my art as a full time passion.

01 June 2010

Our adventure in the Caribbean Day 10&11

Okay, continuing on to our next ports of call...St. Maartin was on day 10. .St. Maartin is divided into 2 parts. The Dutch side is St. Maartin and the French side is St. Martin. The French side is known for its "clothing optional" beaches! We decided to just do a beach and shopping day since you could do both without having to get into a cab, so we didn't see that beach!
 The day we docked, there were three ships total and we were told there was about 6000+ visitors to the island that day!

We were able to eat lunch directly across from the beach and even got some local beer here too

 
After soaking the sun, it was time to shop. Even to we were told this was the best shopping, it was mostly expensive jewelry and high end clothing. Not too much local art, which is what I look for. The interesting part is they have 2 shopping streets--Front Street and Back Street...

Now on to St Croix Day 11 of our Caribbean Adventure. This is the island where you really see the American influence, since it is a US Virgin Island. By American influence, I mean a K-Mart store and lots of the same fast food places. They still drive on the "other side" of the road, but the cars have the steering wheel on the left just like the US. On this island we decide to do an "old folks" tour...a botanical garden, a historical sugar cane and rum making plantation, and a current working Rum factory.



I love this tropical cottage! It was at the historical W.H.I.M plantation

 
inside the plantation owners house

 
the old windmill on the plantation




a cactus garden on a tropical island? It is because this is the dry side of the island-gets very little rain



Last stop was a Rum factory..and they treated all of us to free Pina Coladas--as much as we could drink until the bus picked us up! Did I mention the rum was good on every island we have visited???

I hoped you enjoyed!! My next post will be a wrap up of our cruise and our day in San Juan, Puerto Rico


3 comments:

Shirley said...

Your vacation sounds so enjoyable and relaxing. The scenery makes you wish that you are there. I would love some sunshine after the storm that we had last night. The temperatures have been up and down so it makes the right fuel for the severe storms. Have a wonderful day.

Francie...The Scented Cottage Studio said...

Ohhh what fun ! Wonderful photos too, thanks for sharing.
We lived in Puerto Rico when I was a child. Would love to see how it's changed.
(())
Francie

Nishant said...

The scenery makes you wish that you are there.
PPC Advertising India

Every Saturday

Where we reside

Where we reside

The Oregon Coastline

The Oregon Coastline