About Me

My photo
Sublimity, OR, United States
****WELCOME FRIENDS****
I am artist of texture and color. I enjoy working with textiles, mixed media and the graphic arts. I am an avid cottage gardener with a love for pass along plants and big fluffy pink peonies and pink roses. Many of my tangible creations reflect my love of the garden and all its wonderful colors. I have been selling my creations online since 2002 beginning as a hobby. After 10 years I quit the day job to pursue my art as a full time passion.

29 January 2012

Rest in Peace.....Angel

This is a particularly hard post for me to write, I have waited a couple weeks to do it. Trying to keep things lighthearted on my blog, but I need to pay tribute to our sweet kitty of eleven years.



Angel came to us as a sweet little kitten about eight weeks old. She was a rescue kitty. She was found on the doorstep with her mommy and baby brother kitty at a local senior center. The three of them were in a little white fleece bed. It was early December and cold. The baby brother died and mommy was in poor health. My husband brought her home on that little fleece bed so she would have something familiar with her. We named her Angel because it must have been an Angel who watched over her to bring her safely to us.


It became clear in her first year that she must have been quite frightened at that tender age as she would so often hunker down under our bed. In fact that became her "house". We never could get her to sleep in a cat bed, she preferred a soft blanket under the bed. That little white fleece bed she came home in became the liner in her cat carrier to go to the vet once a year.
She was quite the hunter and like most cats brought her catch to proudly show us even tho we weren't too thrilled. As she matured, we discovered that she was a munchkin cat. She was a full size cat in every way, but her legs were very short. This limited her jumping ability and in later years she did not jump at all as arthritis set in her back legs. But she was a happy loving cat. We called her our "special needs" cat. It reinforced our belief that she came to us for a reason. We had grown children and our home was quiet for her. Then the grand kids came along, Angel simply headed for her house under our bed and to safety until they we gone and all was clear.


It was the last few months that we noticed she had slowed down even more. Then one day she quit eating. You could tell in her eyes she was not well. The vet gave us the news that she was suffering from renal failure. We could try to rehydrate her, but we would really be doing it for our benefit not hers. I consulted with an Animal communicator as I had done a few times before and it was Angel's wish to be left alone and she would let us know when she needed assistance in passing.

We had 3 more days with Angel. And yes she did let us know when she was ready. We put her in that little white fleece bed. She came to us in that little bed and she left us in that little bed. We miss her terribly, but we know she will be waiting for us at the Rainbow Bridge where all animals run and play until their owners come to meet them one day





The Rainbow Bridge


By the edge of a woods, at the foot of a hill,
Is a lush, green meadow where time stands still.
Where the friends of man and woman do run,
When their time on earth is over and done.
For here, between this world and the next,
Is a place where each beloved creature finds rest.
On this golden land, they wait and they play,
Till the Rainbow Bridge they cross over one day.
No more do they suffer, in pain or in sadness,
For here they are whole, their lives filled with gladness.
Their limbs are restored, their health renewed,
Their bodies have healed, with strength imbued.
They romp through the grass, without even a care,
Until one day they start, and sniff at the air.
All ears prick forward, eyes dart front and back,
Then all of a sudden, one breaks from the pack.
For just at that instant, their eyes have met;
Together again, both person and pet.
So they run to each other, these friends from long past,
The time of their parting is over at last.
The sadness they felt while they were apart,
Has turned into joy once more in each heart.
They embrace with a love that will last forever,
And then, side-by-side, they cross over… together

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so very sorry that angel is no longer with you. We love our pets so very much. It does hurt so much when they leave us. I am so thankful for the blessing of having these little blessings in our lives for a time.

bee blessed
mary

sweet violets said...

Oh Deb, that was so precious and sweet, brought tears to my eyes once again.....you did the right thing and she knows how much she was loved. Wishing you healing in the days ahead....hugs...cleo

Admin said...

I love the Rainbow Bridge and in fact I feel your pain, we buried our beloved Tabby Girl age 21 stray cat we adopted (could have been older!) just last week. They are indeed members of the family, and it takes so long to get used to them not being around. Out of habit you think they are sitting in their regular spot or perhaps they just scurried by.....you are in my thoughts!

stefanie said...

I am truly sorry!!!!

From The Heart said...

Such a beautiful post! And beautiful poem..it brought tears to my eyes.Angel was blessed to have such caring people in her life!

Gayle said...

So sad for your loss. We lost our cat Daisy and our Dog Mattie a few months ago and I have not been able to post it. The poem "Rainbow Bridge" is beautiful, thank you for sharing.

Unknown said...

So, so sorry you have lost your Angel. But now she is a real Angel.We all know too well what you're going through. We had to put our Nicky, 15, to rest just this past Dec. 29. Terrible time. But a psychic once told me, all my animals are with me, so your Angel is still with you. Talk to her, she'll hear you.

Ann@A Sentimental Life said...

So sorry for your loss. Lucky cat to of found a home with you. Mine is sitting here on my lap while I tap...think he is going to get a extra hug and kiss right now.

Pink Roses and Teacups said...

Deb,

So sorry to hear that you lost your little Angel. It's always so sad when we lose a pet. It's comforting to know comforting to know they have a special place to go, and one day we will be with them again. She is such a pretty girl. We lost several of our beloved rabbits, that were more like cats. They were litter trained, and ran around the house like cats do. Thank goodness you came along to rescue her, and give her a good home.

Hugs,
Debbie

HIBISCUS HOUSE said...

I am sorry about your kitty. Thanks for stopping by Hibiscus House. It enabled me to find you and for that I am glad. I am now following your blog!

Vintage Gal said...

What a sweet, sweet post. I know how you feel, your heart is breaking. We had to put our sweet little Mindy down a couple of months ago. They are such a part of our lives, but do remember, your little angel will be waiting at the end of the rainbow bridge.

(((Hugs)))

Carrie@comfortablycarriedaway said...

Deb-
So sorry to hear about the passing of your sweet kitty...I know how special she was to you.

Unknown said...

My condolences! It's never easy to lose a beloved pet.

ornamentsbypink said...

Debbi, I'm so sorry for the loss of your beautiful little Angel!
I have lost a few pets and sometimes still cry when I think of one of them. But think of the good life she had with you. She was a lucky kitty! Most of the pets I've had thru the years have been used someone was getting rid of them, so when I think of any of them I remember how good they had it here, with me and my husband wrapped around their little paws!
Mary

Lisa said...

Oh Debbi I am so sorry. As I work in an animal hospital I see more of this than I really want to. But I am glad we are there to help families say good bye. It doesn't help with that place in your heart that your sweet Angel will always fill. I lost my first dog almost 2 years ago and I think she will always be with me and I am glad about that.
I hope you and your family will feel better in time and be able to smile when you remember her.
Hugs, Lisa

Heaven's Walk said...

Oh Debbi - I am so very sorry to hear this. So very sorry. I know that as you read through all of these loving messages from your blog friends, tears will spill once again, and it will feel like the love you had for your sweet Angel will burst your aching heart wide open. But know and remember this....Angel IS waiting for you. She is playing in fields of green with my sweet little Toby (who passed on in September) ~~ and there is one more angel in heaven watching over you, my friend. {{Big hugs}} to you.

xoxo laurie

Bliss said...

Ahhh, so sorry. Cats always make a house feel like a home. Even the ones who hide under the bed when people stop by.

~Bliss~

Donna Heber said...

Hi Debbi,

I am so sorry to hear about your sweet kitty Angel. My heart goes out to you. Her pictures are so precious and will a wonderful reminder of the time you all shared.

Celestina Marie said...

Oh Debbi, I am so sorry to read about Angel's passing. My heart goes out to you and your hubby. What a little darling in those pics you share. I know it's hard as I have been in this place many times. Rainbow Bridge is a beautiful place and I know Angel is happy and running about. She gave you joy and you to her. Sending big hugs of comfort.
Your friend, Celestina Marie

Cherry Chick said...

Debbi....I confess I have tears in my eyes after reading your post. My heart goes out to you as I'm sure do all who have lost their little fur angels. It is good that you knew when she was ready to "go on ahead." Hugs....

BeautifulDees said...

So sorry about the sweet kitty....I lost my little min pin two years ago and still miss her, she was also 11. I loved the poem, I am crying right now...I guess I needed a good cry.
Love,Debbie:)

Jenah Martin said...

Hi Debbie,
I'm so sorry about your loss of Angel; what a beautiful little kitty; it's amazing how they become like our own children and how huge of a role they play in our lives. I have a 13 year old Chihuahua who is getting bad eyes and will be 14 in September. I cherish every moment with her and dread the day she will be gone; my thoughts and prayers are with you.
Have a beautiful day,
jenah xo

Every Saturday

Where we reside

Where we reside

The Oregon Coastline

The Oregon Coastline