About Me

My photo
Sublimity, OR, United States
****WELCOME FRIENDS****
I am artist of texture and color. I enjoy working with textiles, mixed media and the graphic arts. I am an avid cottage gardener with a love for pass along plants and big fluffy pink peonies and pink roses. Many of my tangible creations reflect my love of the garden and all its wonderful colors. I have been selling my creations online since 2002 beginning as a hobby. After 10 years I quit the day job to pursue my art as a full time passion.

26 July 2012

Remembering moms Clothesline

Now isn't this the truth! My father in law forwarded this in an email...I love it...so true for those of us who were kids in the 50's and earlier!



Remembering Mom's Clothesline 
There is one thing that's left out. We had a long wooden pole (clothes pole) that was used to push the clotheslines up so that longer items (sheets/pants/etc.) didn't brush the ground and get dirty. You have to be a "certain age" to appreciate this one.... (But you YOUNGER ones can read about "The GOOD ol' days"!!) I can hear my mother now.....
 
 
THE BASIC RULES FOR CLOTHESLINES: (If you don't even know what clotheslines are, better skip this.)
1. You had to hang the socks by the toes... NOT the top.
2. You hung pants by the BOTTOM/cuffs... NOT the waistbands.
3. You had to WASH the clothesline(s) before hanging any clothes - walk the entire length of each line with a damp cloth around the lines.
4. You had to hang the clothes in a certain order, and always hang "whites" with "whites," and hang them first.
5. You NEVER hung a shirt by the shoulders - always by the tail! What would the neighbors think?
 6. Wash day on a Monday! NEVER hang clothes on the weekend, or on Sunday, for Heaven's sake!
7. Hang the sheets and towels on the OUTSIDE lines so you could hide your "unmentionables" in the middle (perverts & busybodies, y'know!)
8. It didn't matter if it was sub-zero weather... clothes would "freeze-dry."
9. ALWAYS gather the clothes pins when taking down dry clothes! Pins left on the lines were "tacky"!
10. If you were efficient, you would line the clothes up so that each item did not need two clothes pins, but shared one of the clothes pins with the next washed item.
11. Clothes off of the line before dinner time, neatly folded in the clothes basket, and ready to be ironed.
 
 
And now a POEM ...
A clothesline was a news forecast, To neighbors passing by,
There were no secrets you could keep, When clothes were hung to dry.
It also was a friendly link, For neighbors always knew If company had stopped on by,
To spend a night or two. For then you'd see the "fancy sheets", And towels upon the line; You'd see the "company table cloths", With intricate designs.
The line announced a baby's birth, From folks who lived inside,
As brand new infant clothes were hung, So carefully with pride!
The ages of the children could, So readily be known
 By watching how the sizes changed, You'd know how much they'd grown!
It also told when illness struck, As extra sheets were hung;
Then nightclothes, and a bathrobe too, Haphazardly were strung.
It also said, "On vacation now", When lines hung limp and bare.
It told, "We're back!" when full lines sagged, With not an inch to spare!
New folks in town were scorned upon, If wash was dingy and gray,
 As neighbors carefully raised their brows, And looked the other way.
But clotheslines now are of the past, For dryers make work much less.
Now what goes on inside a home, Is anybody's guess!
I really miss that way of life, It was a friendly sign
When neighbors knew each other best... By what hung out on that line.

23 comments:

Anna said...

oh........these "basic rules"...yes, i do remeber them... (51 now...)1 The poem is so true!!! well..times chamge, making things easier, but not necessarily nicer!!! :)

Sanghamitra Bhattacherjee(Mukherjee) said...

Beautiful post and fantastic banner! This is an inspirational site. Thanks for sharing.
Hope to see you on my blog:)

From The Heart said...

I remember one time my husband and his dad hung the clothes on the line. They broke all the rules about hanging...it was a funny sight! Thanks for a great post!

Anonymous said...

The lady graphic you used reminds me of my own (young) mother!

I'm told that my mom ironed our cloth diapers. I'm sure it's true. :)

Protector of Vintage said...

Lovely post!!

Sharon said...

Love this post! I remember all these rules.

The Polka Dot Closet said...

Oh I don't think my Mom hung many clothes on the line, I know we had one and she would hang bedding out to air. I still love to take hangers and hang my sheets out...Oh, nothing smells better then sheets hung out to dry!

Carol

Sassy Breese said...

I was very lucky to get an out-door line this year. I was concerend as to how I would find time to use it. You have to carry the clothes from the laundry room, up the stairs, outside, around the house and then hang.......BUT the first time I took a load out I fell into the zen-bliss of laundry. Sunshine, birds singing, breezes whispering in the trees. Oh how I love my outdoor line.

Ivy, Phyllis and Me! said...

Debbi, what a wonderful post. Here in England, my mother Phyllis and I still hang our washing on a line to dry. I love the smell of the clothes being dried in the fresh air....and yes, there is still an order to how clothes are hung out to dry. Some things don't change. Best Wishes Daphne

ByLightOfMoon said...

I do love clotheslines too and I have some bedding on mine now. I love watching them blow in thew breeze..
Smiles, cyndi

Anonymous said...

Haha,yes, some of it I remember, some not, makes me want to put up a clothesline now, just for the memories!

Dash Interiors said...

What a great blog!!! So excited I found it you have such talent! DARLING!
xox
http://abpetite.blogspot.com/

deb said...

Ain't that the truth!!!

Funny you should post his now. My dryer broke so we've made a hap hazard clothes line in the backyard. My kids haven't a clue to "the rules"! LOL I didn't miss hanging them on the line, but did miss the smell of fresh laundry from outside. Great post!
*hugs*deb

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Nice visiting your blog. Particular, I like your article since it is educational a source for homesteading.

aquarium led light fixtures

Carole said...

Wonderful post and poem and to tell you the truth I still miss having a clothesline.

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

I had to laugh because my Mother never had a dryer until my husband and I bought her one so I was taught how to hang clothes exactly this way!!
In the winter, our basement was heated and we had lines down there and that was where the clothes dried in the winter. Thanks so much for the flood of memories this brought back from my childhood and teen years!!

Hugs,
Deb

Shirley said...

Hi Debbi, Your post made me chuckle. I remember hanging clothes on the clothes line a long time ago. I even had a clothes line in my basement when the kids were little because back then we used cloth diapers. My picture was in the state of Washington. My niece was visiting your state and Washington. She was surprised about not having to pump gas in your state, but getting waiting on. How I wish we had that here. Have a great day. Hugs Your Missouri Friend.

Heaven's Walk said...

LOVED this, Debbi! What sweet memories it brought back....AND the fact that I still follow alot of these rules to this day! lol! Do you know what's hard to find? The good old fashioned clothesline AND the metal clothes pole with the rubber split tip on it! I'd love to find them somewhere. :)

xoxo laurie

Anonymous said...

Such a useful tip. It would be handy in the future. Thanks for sharing.

investment advice

Celestial Charms said...

Oh, I love when a post brings back certain memories to me, especially the joyous ones. Thanks for stirring up some happy ones.
Maureen

Sandra said...

Well Debbi as you know the good old Hills hoist is still a standard fixture in most Aussie homes - including mine. Yes, I was taught the same rules and still go by them without even realising it lol! And to add to the rules I remember my mother telling me that a housewife was judged by how white her whites were and by how early her washing was out on the line - it meant she was a diligent worker. Well, forget those now, but I rarely use a dryer unless it's been wet for ages. I love the smell of sunshine on my clothes and can't see the sense in paying to dry things in a dryer when the sunshine is free and hygenic - and makes things so nice. Not to mention being outdoors and listening to the birds while I am hanging it out.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the tip. I really appreciate it. I love your blog too. Thanks! God bless you.

investment advisor

Every Saturday

Where we reside

Where we reside

The Oregon Coastline

The Oregon Coastline