About Me

My photo
Sublimity, OR, United States
****WELCOME FRIENDS****
I am artist of texture and color. I enjoy working with textiles, mixed media and the graphic arts. I am an avid cottage gardener with a love for pass along plants and big fluffy pink peonies and pink roses. Many of my tangible creations reflect my love of the garden and all its wonderful colors. I have been selling my creations online since 2002 beginning as a hobby. After 10 years I quit the day job to pursue my art as a full time passion.

28 July 2013

The history of Aprons

I posted this poem a few years back and it still one of my favorites because it rings so true of my grandma on the farm. I found lots of vintage apron pattern images to share along with it. Feel free to snag and save any of the images here too:)

The History of APRONS


I don't think our kids know what an apron is.

 The principal use of Grandma's apron was to protect the dress underneath.  Because she only had a few, it was easier to wash aprons than
dresses and they used less material, but along
with that, it served as a potholder for removing
hot pans from the oven.



It was wonderful for drying children's tears,
and on occasion was even used for cleaning out dirty ears.

From the chicken coop, the apron was used for carrying eggs, fussy chicks, and sometimes half-hatched eggs to be finished in the warming oven.

 When company came, those aprons were ideal hiding places 
for shy kids.
And when the weather was cold, grandma wrapped it around 
her arms. Those big old aprons wiped many a perspiring brow, 
bent over the hot wood stove.

Chips and kindling wood were brought into the kitchen in that apron.


From the garden, it carried all sorts of vegetables.  
After the peas had been shelled, it carried out the  hulls.
In the fall, the apron was used to bring in 
apples that had fallen from the trees.
 
 When unexpected company drove up the road, it
was surprising how much furniture that old apron
could dust in a matter of seconds.
When dinner was ready, Grandma walked out onto
the porch, waved her apron, and the men knew it
was time to come in from the fields to dinner.

 It will be a long time before someone invents
something that will replace that 'old-time
apron' that served so many purposes.



Grandma used to set her hot baked apple pies on
the window sill to cool.  Her granddaughters set
theirs on the window sill to thaw.
They would go crazy now trying to figure out how
many germs were on that apron.

I don't think I ever caught anything from an apron.............

Joining these parties this week

Be Inspired @ Elizabeth & Co.
Cottage Style @ Lavender Garden Cottage
Knick of Time Tuesday @ Knick of Time Interiors
Nifty Thrifty Tuesday @ Coastal Charm
Inspire Me Tuesday @ A Stroll thru life
Time Travel Thursday @ Brambleberry Cottage
Treasure Hunt Thursday @ From My Front Porch to Yours
Anything Blue @ The Dedicated House
Farm Girl Friday @ Fresh Eggs Daily
Show and Tell Friday @ My Romantic Home
Vintage Inspiration Friday @ Common Ground 


11 comments:

Connie said...

I love this post !!!
At the moment I have two aprons posted on my blog, that I made this week. Your patterns are so special, I love them .
I feel that whenever I wear an apron while cooking my cooking is better, because I feel so "Betty Crockery," and it's hard to not wear a smile along with a pretty apron :)
Have a wonderful week,
and thanks again for this charming retro post :)
Your blogging sister, Connie :)

Ivy, Phyllis and Me! said...

Good Evening Debbi, I thoroughly enjoyed reading this post as it took me back to when I was a child. Ivy, my grandmother wore one of the aprons that you showed us. I remember Ivy picking apples from her tree and putting them in her rolled up apron to take them into the kitchen.
Such lovely memories. I would love to make one to show my daughters what their great-grandmother wore on a daily basis. I think they would be surprised to see how much of the dress was covered with the apron. Sadly they never met her, as she passed away before they were born, but I made sure they knew all about her.
Enjoy your day,
Best Wishes
Daphne

Betty said...

I love your post. I always wear aprons when I cook and so does my granddaughter who is 13 now. I even made us matching ones last year.

Heaven's Walk said...

So interesting and fun, Debbi! My mother and grandmother always wore aprons - and used them in all the various ways you mentioned! Your post brought back some sweet memories! :)

xoxo laurie

SewSweetVIntage said...

I Love your sweet history! Pinned to my apron board. My daughter inherited my sweet affection for them:) I posted DIY Doily Jacket this week:)

Judi said...

I have always loved aprons ~ my Mom always used one and like Connie ^^ up there, I have a post of some I just made, my first time making any! I think my favorite of yours here is the Advance 5288 with sweetheart neckline :) Thanks for sharing the poem too ~ Judi

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

I don't own a single apron, but I love the look of them. Remember when there were Hostess aprons that were all frilly. I had a couple of those. Thanks for the info, it was really interesting. Thanks also for joining Inspire Me. Hugs, Marty

Holly said...

Hi Debbi -

I own several full aprons and don't cook without them. And some days when I come home from work I keep on my pearls and go full on vintage ordering that pizza!!!!! Hugs, Holly @ coconutheadsurvivalguide

Shabby Marilyn said...

Great post, love aprons and have a collection that I must share on a post. I wish they were worn more. Newest follower, hope to see you visit.

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

Oh I just loved reading this!

nancarts said...

I love this post! My Mother and Grandmothers all wore aprons...everyday. They did a lot of cooking and canning in their day so the apron was certainly a necessity. It was used for all those chores the poem mentions and maybe something they came up with on their own! Thanks so much. I enjoyed this.
Peace and blessings,
Nancy

Every Saturday

Where we reside

Where we reside

The Oregon Coastline

The Oregon Coastline