About Me

My photo
Sublimity, OR, United States
****WELCOME FRIENDS****
I am artist of texture and color. I enjoy working with textiles, mixed media and the graphic arts. I am an avid cottage gardener with a love for pass along plants and big fluffy pink peonies and pink roses. Many of my tangible creations reflect my love of the garden and all its wonderful colors. I have been selling my creations online since 2002 beginning as a hobby. After 10 years I quit the day job to pursue my art as a full time passion.

09 August 2010

False vs the real thing

On a previous post, I featured my False Queen Anne's Lace that grows in my cottage garden. I had lots of comments and even a few emails regarding what was different about the "false" and the weed that grows along the roadside. I literally walked across the street to snap a photo of the wild stuff that grows in the ditch.  I thought I would explain the difference.

 Click on the pic to see full size

As you can see, the false variety is more prolific in blooms that are larger and flatter in shape. They also do not have long tap roots as the wild one's do. They are from two different plant families, the wild ones are considered an invasive weed , but the false can be too if not thinned out early. I love my false variety as they intermingle with the other cottage flowers, and perfect for fillers in a bouquet.  But again, they have to be kept in check or they will quickly take over as you can see in some of my recent posts! Once you sow the seeds--you never will have to sow them again, they will be back every year, I promise!



10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I never knew this...... Interesting!
Have a Wonderful Day!
Marilyn

Unknown said...

I had no idea ... TY for sharing. I may give it a try.

Have a lovely summer's day ~
TTFN ~ Marydon

Heaven's Walk said...

Oh my gosh....I had no idea, either! Thanks for the lesson! I do like the False Queen Anne's Lace better. It's so very pretty!

xoxo laurie@heavens-walk

Art From The heart said...

Thanks for sharing. I love Queen Ann's lace in any variety.
Hug, Amy

Lavender and Linen said...

I had no idea! I really love Queen Anne's Lace!

If you look closely at the bloom, it has so much detail.

Thanks for sharing this information with us!

Lavender and Linen said...

I love your blog! I'm a new follower!

Sue said...

Hi! I'm taking some time today to visit a few sorority sisters. I found this post really interesting. I would love to grow some for bouquets next summer...yours is so pretty!

Sue

Cindy Adkins said...

Hi Debbi,
I just stopped over to say "hi"...your blog is so lovely and it is always such a pleasure to come visit. Sending hugs your way,
Cindy
xo

Anonymous said...

Love this post Debbie and I love all the false "lace" we have in the fields. It's funny though. Some years there's tons of it and some years, hardly any. This year was a so so year for us. We also have wild yarrow but I have never had success with transplanting. xoxo

Francie...The Scented Cottage Studio said...

I had no idea either ! I love the weed and the false is even prettier.

Every Saturday

Where we reside

Where we reside

The Oregon Coastline

The Oregon Coastline