About Me

My photo
Sublimity, OR, United States
****WELCOME FRIENDS****
I am artist of texture and color. I enjoy working with textiles, mixed media and the graphic arts. I am an avid cottage gardener with a love for pass along plants and big fluffy pink peonies and pink roses. Many of my tangible creations reflect my love of the garden and all its wonderful colors. I have been selling my creations online since 2002 beginning as a hobby. After 10 years I quit the day job to pursue my art as a full time passion.

07 September 2010

My summer project complete.

Okay, so many of you may remember back last spring about my story of the barn up the road being torn down...and there was this old church pew sitting in the rain with my name written all over it...figuratively of course....Now I am back to show you that I did finally finish it.

 the "before" pic with the peeling paint

 all stripped and sanded..this was a big chore...

here it is all done...a coat of Kilz primer and 2 coats of creamy white exterior latex. I decided not to try to distress it since it will sit in my covered patio year round. The PNW weather will do it for me. I picked this amazing wood sign at Molly Mo's Antique Faire, it is perfect for the bench!

I also have not decided if I want to actually use it as a bench or a place for plants. It would be perfect for my fuchsia's and impatiens that like nice warm shade in the summer. 
I would love to hear my blogger friends ideas????



14 comments:

Linens Lace and Lattes said...

Love it as a bench. To me there is nothing more inviting than a nice bench on a covered porch filled with the beautiful vintage pillows you make. You have another great backdrop for future photos for your Etsy shop now too! Enjoy your day. deb

miruku said...

OMG, this bench is so lovely with the 2 pillows!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful! I do remember this pew! I bet you'll use it a dozen different ways and yes, let the PNW distress it naturally! ♥

Francie...The Scented Cottage Studio said...

Oh what a fabyoulous job you did ! Now that would be a tough decision for me so I would probably put a plant or two or three :)) at one end and leave a space for sittin' too.

Cherry Chick said...

I think your bench is charmingly beautiful. You did an amazing job on it. Everything about your display is perfect. Congratulations on such a wonderful restoration.

Heaven's Walk said...

Hi Debbi! You did an amazing job with the bench! I loved it stripped - and I love it painted! I think you can definitely use it for a bench AND place for flower pots. Why not? lol! Looks great just like you have it!

xoxo laurie@heavens-walk

Mary Ann said...

Goodness...that is just so sweet. Love the pretty pillows on the bench. You have such a lovely decorating touch.

Unknown said...

Debbie,
Your blogs are so beautiful and you are so creative. I'm so glad I stopped by this morning for a visit. Wow! You inspire me.
Mary

Denise Marie said...

I saw that you helped Dawn at Cottage State of Mind. I wonder if you could work something up for me as a banner. I am torn between Bloomin' and Beagle Run Cottage.

Unknown said...

The bench is lovely! You did a great job!

Unknown said...

Wow Debbi, That pew bench is definately 'born again'!
You've got a great vignette going. I'd use it for both. some plants on one end, on the pew and on the floor, and still enough room to sit with pillows. That'd look perfect for Christmas with wrapped boxes and things on it too;)
Hadn't heard from ya in a while. Hope all is well.
Have a nice Friday work day and a great weekend!
Melody

Terry @ La Bella Vie said...

Hey Debbi,
I just love this bench! What a great find and what a great job you did refinishing it!
I can do a tutorial onthe pumpkins if I can find my pattern:) Its in that sewing room of mine that I hesitate messing up therefore nothing gets done in there:)
Terry:)

Anonymous said...

Debbi, I love this! Good for you...these big projects are daunting for my body to perform these days! LOL! I love the quote on the bench. So true!!
We need to be kinder to ourselves, don't we.
Hugs, Diane

PAINTORDIG.blogspot.com said...

What a beauty this turned out to be. I think I would use it for both sitting and plants.Good job.

Every Saturday

Where we reside

Where we reside

The Oregon Coastline

The Oregon Coastline