About Me

My photo
Sublimity, OR, United States
****WELCOME FRIENDS****
I am artist of texture and color. I enjoy working with textiles, mixed media and the graphic arts. I am an avid cottage gardener with a love for pass along plants and big fluffy pink peonies and pink roses. Many of my tangible creations reflect my love of the garden and all its wonderful colors. I have been selling my creations online since 2002 beginning as a hobby. After 10 years I quit the day job to pursue my art as a full time passion.

01 May 2014

The buzz cloud in my cottage garden....



Yes, my cottage garden is starting to awake on this wonderful May Day! I call this tree my "buzz cloud" as it reminds me of a fluffy cloud of blossoms and the honey bees love the sweetness of this Lollipop Crab apple tree.

 Lollipop crabapple is a slow-growing, dwarf version of an ornamental crabapple tree, named because of its pleasant, rounded shape. Mature height of Lollipop crabapple is about 8 feet, with an equal spread. I think mine reached beyond maturity with all the organic compost it gets in the cottage garden. It will get a good pruning after the blooms fade.

 Leaves appear first then white blooms appear on the tree in springtime, followed by small, golden crabapples in late summer. In autumn, the foliage takes on a yellowish tint. Lollipop crabapple isn't difficult to maintain and is suitable for growing in US Department of Agriculture hardiness zones 4 and above.

 Honey Bees love it in the spring and the birds love the tiny fall apples


 I took some time to step inside the tree, the bees didn't seem to mind that I was taking in the intoxicating scent too. 




And since we have had some really nice warm weather the peonies were ripe for the picking~a perfect May Day bouquet!

11 comments:

sweet violets said...

Lovely!!!!

Gunsside said...

Lovely, looks like a very beautiful place

Christine @ Rustic-Refined said...

Really gorgeous tree, I am on the hunt for a new one in my back yard. Hubby doesn't know it yet but it's going to be a Mother's Day gift...lol

Love your peonies as well, my are just now poking thru the ground in my zone 5 garden.

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

Just beautiful!!

Hugs,
Deb

Neesie said...

What an exquisite blossom tree. It's fantastic and would brighten anyone day.
Unfortunately my peonies are only just peeking out of the ground at the moment. I've got to wait for the blooms...but they'll be worth it!
Gorgeous arrangement too.
Enjoy your tree and the weekend

Debbi said...

I should add that we had some "rare" summer like temps here in Oregon the last few days, which opened up those peonies at least 7-10 days early!

Fishtail Cottage said...

wow - what a gorgeous tree!!!! All my trees are so tiny compared to yours so I really appreciate you have...love it! Thank you for sharing this post over at Fishtail Cottage's garden party this week - I can see you'll have more to share! xoxo, tracie

Heaven's Walk said...

Lucky girl! Your tree is just so pretty in your garden. :) We used to have a Sweet Autumn clematis that the smelled beautiful and the bees loved it, too! :) Your pics are just beautiful!

xoxo laurie

Dreaming of Vintage said...

Beautiful Debbi!

Brandi said...

Such a beautiful tree. I love your peonies as well.

Wsprsweetly Of Cottages said...

I would love to have a crabapple tree. We had one in our yard when I was a child...in Oregon and I will never forget it. How beautiful it is.
Heavens, I have been here in ages!! :)
Mona

Every Saturday

Where we reside

Where we reside

The Oregon Coastline

The Oregon Coastline