About Me

My photo
Sublimity, OR, United States
****WELCOME FRIENDS****
I am artist of texture and color. I enjoy working with textiles, mixed media and the graphic arts. I am an avid cottage gardener with a love for pass along plants and big fluffy pink peonies and pink roses. Many of my tangible creations reflect my love of the garden and all its wonderful colors. I have been selling my creations online since 2002 beginning as a hobby. After 10 years I quit the day job to pursue my art as a full time passion.

27 August 2015

Late August porch sitting



It has been a long hot summer here in Oregon and you probably are thinking I am going to say I am ready for the cooler fall weather. NOT...I am quite spoiled wearing shorts and flip flops and picking roses from my cottage garden. The winters here tend to be long, grey and wet. Usually we do not have such dry summers and there have been many downsides to it this year.
Mid July always brings 2 weeks of leaf hopper bugs. Almost impossible to sit out on the porch in the evenings. This year right  on the heels of the leaf hoppers we had an invasion of millions (and I am not kidding) of tiny black ant like bugs. Every house that bordered the farmland here in our little town was affected. It was useless to spray as the numbers were too great and too widespread. So we had to wait them out for another couple weeks. This meant I had to strip the coverings off my bench too.


But now I back in business, enjoying my "porch sittin". I came across this fun transfer at a craft store and added it to an old shutter. It gets a lot of attention from passers by stopping to read what it says.


I covered the bench with an old quilt and topped with a quaker lace tablecloth that has seen better days--always a reuse for everything!
 
  
Easy no sew pillows! An old denim skirt I simply pinned to a pillow form and added some crochet scraps to the the pockets.


My watering can collection is so fun to decorate with. 
Below is a very old can that came from my husbands family in Nebraska
 

Garden flowers in anything that will hold water!
 


As you can see, late summer here brings some really dry farmland. This view is from the front walkway of my porch looking south.
 


So for at least a couple more weeks I will enjoy the last colors, sites and smells of summer. The corn stalks are drying in the back garden and I am already planning the fall porch decor.
 

2 comments:

krishna said...

So beautiful, and so enchanting... I love your denim skirt pillow.. it is so cute..

Deanna said...

I would love to take a snooze on your porch after reading a good book! I love your walkway :D

Every Saturday

Where we reside

Where we reside

The Oregon Coastline

The Oregon Coastline