About Me

My photo
Sublimity, OR, United States
****WELCOME FRIENDS****
I am artist of texture and color. I enjoy working with textiles, mixed media and the graphic arts. I am an avid cottage gardener with a love for pass along plants and big fluffy pink peonies and pink roses. Many of my tangible creations reflect my love of the garden and all its wonderful colors. I have been selling my creations online since 2002 beginning as a hobby. After 10 years I quit the day job to pursue my art as a full time passion.

11 June 2010

A sad day at ArborOak cottage...

I love trees and being an Oregonian, I love evergreen trees. The Douglas Fir tree is a native tree on the west side of the Cascade mountains. You see them thick everywhere in the wild and the forests. They are grown as Christmas trees here and are plentiful. When we built our house 5 years ago, it was a lot on acreage that once was a Christmas tree farm with a few leftover trees standing. We had 5 on our lot. We kept 2 that were about 20ft tall. Now they are over 50 ft tall and the fence is like a pretzel from all the root pressure.



After a couple years, it became apparent these trees are not back yard trees:( and the last few years we watched them more than double their size with all the watering and fertilizing of the lawns around them. It has been a whole year of agonizing over not wanting to remove them, but knowing we had to.

So the day came today...and it was sad.
I feel naked with those trees gone it looks like someplace else, and the neighbors are not too happy losing the shade to their backyard. But they also may thank us that the tree cutter told us there was a big split starting in in one of them and the next ice or snow storm would have brought it down on their yard and possibly the house.

Big mess to clean up, but we don't have to do it! The bright news to today's sadness is that we will be planting 2 new trees in the same area that are more suitable to the area. And that is just wonderful in my book.

10 comments:

Art From The heart said...

Oh sad I know. We too have had to remove some having been here almost 25 years.
Bit like the loss of an old friend.
The new ones will grow in time.
Hugs,Amy

Alissa said...

Aww, too bad but those neighbors should be thankful the trees didn't land on their house. It's definitely going to look different.

We're taking out our little pine tree sometime this summer too... Bah! :o(

Susan Freeman said...

Its always sad to lose a tree, but I'm glad you are getting two new ones! I followed you over from dear Mona's blog. It's nice to meet you! I live in a next door state.

Love,
Susan and Bentley
xxoo

Francie...The Scented Cottage Studio said...

Our lot is so small to lose a tree would be really difficult.

soooo what kind of trees are you planting in their places?

(())

Debbi said...

I am thinking some small white bark birch trees, or maybe something flowering. Needs to be something that doesnt get over 30 feet tall!

Heaven's Walk said...

Oh Debi - it IS sad to lose beautiful mature trees that have graced your yard for so many years. They are like old friends - offering shade and that wonderful piney scent. I hope that the new ones you plant will offer you the same amount of joy over the years to come!

Oh, and thanks so much for visiting and following my blog!

Have a great day ~

laurie@heavenswalk

Wsprsweetly Of Cottages said...

Debbi...you will laugh at this but we planted two California Redwoods in our front yard!! The way we figure...we won't be here in a hundred years anyway... :) I know, know, not a nice thing to say..but I would live in a forest surrounded by tree's if I could.
It took me years to get over leaving Oregon and trying to get used to California. Southern, that is! The closer I get to Oregon the better I like it!!

I think I am sadder than you because when I came on today and first saw the photo of your trees...I was in awe! And then I saw the last photo of the stumps..
:( I know you felt you had to do that..but I think the fence would have gone before those tree's. Gorgeous things that they were.
I imagine the stumps will go also and in a few years you will have new and better suited trees...
I look at everything in "time" now.. lol I wonder WHY?! :)

We all do what we have to do...

I am already looking at those redwoods and thinking..."oh dear, what have I done!" :)

Hugs and love,
Mona

Terry @ La Bella Vie said...

Well hello neighbor! I live so close to you (Beavercreek, Oregon:)
I know just how you must feel about having to take out your trees. My husband and I live on 5 acres as well and agonized over which trees to take out when we built our home...65 trees later, we knew we had to to accomodate for the house but knew they were so wonderful they must have gone to "tree heaven" like yours did too:)
Since we live so close and this blog is adorable, I'd like to extend an invitation to come be FOLLOWER on my blog and I'll FOLLOW you as well:)
See you soon, who knows it may be in passing on the road here in the beautiful Pacific Northwest!
Terry

Unknown said...

I know how you feel as I hate to loose any tree or plant but the new trees will be happy to find a new home ...

Y'all still getting rain out the wing-wang out there? I do miss occasionally the rain in the PNW, but not often.

Happy Father's Day to your hubs.
TTFN ~ Marydon

Unknown said...

Debbi, I am so sorry about the trees. That would break my heart! When I was growing up in my childhood home, we had an old cottonwood tree that had gotten a branch stuck through the chain link fence when it was small, and it grew to maturity like that where the fence is running right through the center of the trunk. There had been many convos over the years about cutting it down, but it still stands...almost 50 years later and with new tenants in the house. Seems nobody can bear to cut it down.

Every Saturday

Where we reside

Where we reside

The Oregon Coastline

The Oregon Coastline