About Me

My photo
Sublimity, OR, United States
****WELCOME FRIENDS****
I am artist of texture and color. I enjoy working with textiles, mixed media and the graphic arts. I am an avid cottage gardener with a love for pass along plants and big fluffy pink peonies and pink roses. Many of my tangible creations reflect my love of the garden and all its wonderful colors. I have been selling my creations online since 2002 beginning as a hobby. After 10 years I quit the day job to pursue my art as a full time passion.

28 July 2014

The challenging flower bed

 For the last 10 summers we have lived in this house, I have had this little narrow flower bed on the back patio that has always been a challenge. Shady most of the day, but the late hot afternoon sun beats down on it. Nothing would grow well planted on the ground, so I started using it as my little garden decorating area and dress it up a little differently each each year....the pic below is the early spring when I set the "bones" for this little bed. I have changed things up a bit since then, always adding new finds!

 Here it is now a bit more filled out. 


 since nothing is growing "up" the trellis, I opted to have a few treasures falling "down"
 My favorite wood ladder I painted last summer, just positioned a little differently this season
 a new find this summer, a chippy cement bird. When my husband set him on the ground he said "the eagle has landed" LOL, maybe more fitting would be "the seagull has landed". Also note the ladybugs. That was a spring painting project with my little granddaughters. They had fun placing them in the garden as we painted several.
 More fun finds sprinkled. A broken china plate I glued back together still has life in the garden, a wheel from a broken wheel barrow planter, a rusty shovel and colander too.

 the trellis is probably my favorite piece. I have used this in many different places in the garden over the years.

this old wire chair is a perfect plant stand.
 Hope you enjoyed this little tour of the little challenge garden!

12 comments:

krishna said...

how beautiful.... i don't know what is happening.. my all plants are dying.. i'm really sad.. :(

Martha's Favorites said...

It looks perfect. I love that the eagle has landed! Hugs, Martha

Annette said...

Love your garden challenge area. It is happy and welcoming. The little lady bugs are so cute!! The trellis and the ladder give you so much display space. Great idea!!

Balista said...

Hi there, i am impressed by your work. Thank you.

daisy g said...

So adorable. I like how you used the boards across the ladder to make shelves. Very creative!

Beth said...

What a great way to utilize a difficult space.

deb said...

What a great idea! Love what you have created in a difficult spot. I have one of those too. You've just inspired me ♥
*hugs*deb

Sarah said...

You must certainly have a green thumb to have all these pretty flowers in bloom.

Unknown said...

Darling! We put a ladder on my mom's front porch so that she could add little flower pots. :)
Thank you so much for sharing this post for Fresh-Cut Friday. It's the perfect addition! :)

Have a great weekend.
~Liz

P.S. I hope you will consider adding a link back to the party in your post.

Sue said...

Your little garden looks great. I love the painted ladder with all the flowers on it too, so bright and cheerful.

Kathy said...

This is charming! I love how you set it up.

Patricia @ 9th and Denver said...

Isn't that so pretty?
We have little patches of yard that don't grow so great. I decorate those too! I like that wire trellis...so funky and cute!

Every Saturday

Where we reside

Where we reside

The Oregon Coastline

The Oregon Coastline