About Me

My photo
Sublimity, OR, United States
****WELCOME FRIENDS****
I am artist of texture and color. I enjoy working with textiles, mixed media and the graphic arts. I am an avid cottage gardener with a love for pass along plants and big fluffy pink peonies and pink roses. Many of my tangible creations reflect my love of the garden and all its wonderful colors. I have been selling my creations online since 2002 beginning as a hobby. After 10 years I quit the day job to pursue my art as a full time passion.

17 June 2013

Ladder Planter

If you remember back a couple posts, I said I was having a thing with apple green this summer in my garden. Last winter when we went "antiquing" in Aurora, Oregon, I saw an old redwood ladder that had been re-purposed into a step planter. I thought that was such a cool idea for a narrow flower bed I have next to my patio.


The hunt began for a wood ladder, I found a redwood one, but the shop wanted $65 for it and that was way more that I (cheap junker) wanted to pay. When I was just about to throw in the towel for this season finding one to use, I stumbled on this one for $15 at a local thrift store. Not redwood, but hey, I had this apple green exterior paint, almost a full gallon. I got my hubby to cut down some fence boards I found behind our workshop and painted those to match





Viola, it fit perfect! Since it gets morning shade and intense afternoon sun, I planted some annuals that can take both extremes.


What you see on these shelves are literally out of the cupboards and my rescued garden treasures. I didn't want to get too granny looking, but wanted some cottage garden charm




Now on to the next project...........here it is below....................it won't be for the garden..........but will be outside.............I have no clue what it is, but somewhat of an idea what it will become................



Etsy Cottage Style Cottage Craft Party
It’s Bloomin’ Tuesday @ Ms. Green Thumb Jean
Tuesday Garden Party @ An Oregon Cottage
Nifty Thrifty Tuesday@Coastal Charm
Outdoor Wednesday @ A Southern Daydreamer
Garden Party @ Fishtail Cottage
Simple and sweet Fridays @Rooted in Thyme

11 comments:

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

I love it, Debbi! What a great idea for those narrow spaces. I love the color you painted it, too.

Anonymous said...

I love it, Debbie! I have a small step ladder I might try this with only I'll use it for shelving above my fridge.

I'm liking that apple green, too!

Joanna said...

Love what you did with your stepladder. I got extremely lucky and snagged a perfectly good one at a yard sale for $4. I'd love to see another picture later in the summer of this area.

Deb said...

After seeing this ladder, i will definitely be on the lookout for one! Great job! i love it!

Suzanne said...

What a unique, beautiful idea! Love it!

Beth said...

Your ladder looks awesome!

deb said...

I have a thing for green too. Love the way your ladder turned out. So hard these days, stuff we used to get for free costs an arm and a leg! You've got my curosity going with your next project. Anxious to see what you do to it :
*hugs*deb

Carrie said...

How creative of you! I love how you re-purposed the step ladder - what a beautiful addition to your landscape!

Linda said...

I love how you transformed your ladder. I have one also and each year change the arrangements on it. I've been thinking of painting mine, and now I see how lovely yours looks I'll be adding a paint job onto my ever growing iist.

September Violets said...

I love this idea for the ladder ... I'm sorry to say I tossed a wooden ladder last year when clearing out my parents' house! Now I'm thinking of a tiny wooden step ladder my husband brought home from work (I'm sure he'll never miss it!!).

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Debbi,
What a charming ladder makeover you have here. It will be featured at my NIFTY THRIFTY TUESDAY party on Monday...please feel free to grab my starfish featured button for your blog.

Blessings,
Linda

Every Saturday

Where we reside

Where we reside

The Oregon Coastline

The Oregon Coastline