About Me

My photo
Sublimity, OR, United States
****WELCOME FRIENDS****
I am artist of texture and color. I enjoy working with textiles, mixed media and the graphic arts. I am an avid cottage gardener with a love for pass along plants and big fluffy pink peonies and pink roses. Many of my tangible creations reflect my love of the garden and all its wonderful colors. I have been selling my creations online since 2002 beginning as a hobby. After 10 years I quit the day job to pursue my art as a full time passion.

17 May 2009

Cottage Style container gardening

I thought I would share this post that I contributed as a guest author on The Vintage Journal blog last month--I am still planting and maybe you still are too!

As an avid container and cottage gardener, I am always on the hunt for something unusual to plant in besides a run of the mill plastic or clay pot! Below are some interesting and fun container gardens I have created in the past. As you can see you can plant in almost anything except gas cans. I have even planted in cowboy boots and tennis shoes. Your imagination is your only limit to the creative reuses for many container gardens!


Enamel roasting pan overflowing with marigolds--I added a little toy shovel accent



Metal canisters are perfect for narrow places where you need a splash of color



And the stand by metal watering can, overflows with blue lobelia.
(I slid in a gallon size plastic pot inside the watering can)



An old wicker purse lined with plastic was perfect
for bacopa and varigated geraniums

An old rocking chair placed in the garden~the pink
fairy rose loved to spread its wings here!



Old enamel refrigerator drawer is perfect for herbs



Toy rocking horse repainted hosts a basket of yellow marigolds.

I hope I have tickled your imagination for this years potted plants, as I enjoyed sharing it with you too. Visit me at my website Marionberry Cottage to see my other passion, textile art and my love of pink roses too!

9 comments:

joyh82 said...

Wow what great idea's you had there. I love the basket and the rocking horse.

Anonymous said...

O.K., Tomorrow I am going out to plant some more thingies'... Love your ideas!! You are such an inspiration!!
Love,
Marilyn
xxoo

Terry said...

Thank you for the fantastic ideas.
Your photos were all so lovely .
I love cottage / container gardening.
I had kind of run out of ideas this week.
Now I feel all recharged and ready to go .
Blessings to you.

Anonymous said...

Lovely containers, and great inspiration too.

I'm finishing 2 tissue cozies today and shipping one out that I sold. Then it's on to upgrading my DeStash site, re-writing my Faerie Tales and on and on. Yep, I do love to be productive. Talk to you soon, Have a great week,

xJ
MaidenShade.wordpress.com
MaidenShade.com

Sheila said...

Wonderful... I am so wanting to plant, but we are going to be moving and i just dont want alot of extra stuff to have to move. I will however keep this in mind after we get moved.. I can always go out and buy flowers already bloomed later to plant.. Thanks for the great inspiration.. my sweety told me when we get moved i could plan and plant what ever i wanted in a certain area of the yardc.. I was in shock. Of course there was a catch, i have to keep it all up myself.. YIPPY. because i would do that any way..

Nice and Easy Antiques said...

Can't pick a fave...they are all wonderful!!!!

Kris said...

Great ideas. Love using vintage items in an unconventional way.

Kris

Jenny said...

Absolutely LOVELY! My favorite is your rocking chair in the garden .... that gives me an idea for my old school desk... hmmmm.
:) Thanks for the inspiration!
Blessings,
Jenny

logan and jayme payne said...

I loved your canister planter! I have posted a back link on my site http://thisladyshouse.com
If you would like me to remove this link please notify me!

Every Saturday

Where we reside

Where we reside

The Oregon Coastline

The Oregon Coastline